Right people. I need your opinions…
I am fortunate enough to have been offered a free holiday for my family in July for two weeks for my dad’s 60th birthday.
Before I continue, I am in no means being ungrateful, I think it is an amazing opportunity and feel extremely lucky and privileged.
So, having said that, I am having doubts about the holiday. I am not sure my depression / anxiety or whatever it is can cope.
Here is my list of pros and cons :
Pros – A potentially amazing holiday in a fantastic place.
– The opportunity to see my brother who lives in Melbourne and meet his girlfriend for the first time who are meeting us there.
– A break from the normality and sometimes monotony of daily life.
– The chance for small cousins to spend time together.
– Sun, sea and sand.
– Sharing babysitting and some quality time with Bob.
Cons – My kids do not travel well or sleep well, and it is one hell of a journey.
– Last year on our holiday to visit friends in France it was amazing but took us a minimum of 2 hours to get the kids to bed every night (anyone who says when kids are tired they will sleep – I will punch you in the poon).
– My depression does not cope well out of the norm. For example, today I took the sprogs to Glasgow for my cousins little girls birthday party. It was lovely to see everyone but I found the whole day a bit overwhelming. The girls were actually brilliantly behaved but I was very anxious throughout the day and felt very relieved to get home and am now hiding under a blanket.
– If I can’t cope and find the journey / out of the norm too much, I’m worried I will ruin the holiday for everyone else.
What would you do? I genuinely want your suggestions. I am leaning towards going, with an open mind and hoping for the best. But days like today make me panic and think right now I won’t be able to cope. I really don’t want a big set back. But I really want to go…
If you think I should go, do you have any tips to make it more likely to be successful?